Monday, October 5, 2015

Week 5: The Graduate



I never want to listen to Scarborough Fair ever again. That was the weirdest of the songs and it was used three times. It sounded like it belonged in a renaissance fair. The Graduate (1967) had only music by Simon and Garfunkel and that was strange, since soundtracks usually have more than one artist. Maybe this was the beginnings of original soundtracks for films? That is so common today. I didn't mind most of the songs, it was only the Scarborough Fair. Actually I'm very used to Simon and Garfunkel. My mother has played Mrs. Robinson my whole life and I remember it from childhood. However, I had no idea there was a movie behind that whole song. I'll get back to that when I'm writing about my initial thoughts.

Walking into the film, I was expecting some sort of inspirational made-after-a-real-story movie. A title like The Graduate makes one think they're in for some sort of moral film about how going to school is great. Maybe about someone beating the odds and graduating. But I was taken aback and I was presented with something very scandalous and thought provoking. Benjamin, the protagonist, was something I think our entire class can relate to. He's our age, and very soon I will be in his situation since I am graduating this year. I understand the apathy and terror that comes with finishing school. The beginning scene set those feelings and solidified them with the party at Ben's house, with all of his parent's friends. The cluster of older people asking you a million questions about college, careers and relationships had me sympathizing for Ben. I've been like that myself during family gatherings; wanting to return to my room quietly and not talk. It captured the issues of being young very well. What I did not expect, was the affair.



This film was pleasantly surprising to me. It's plot wasn't predictable. I first thought it would be about graduating, then I thought it would just be an affair and it topped off in a way I didn't anticipate. I loved that. I prefer stories that keep me guessing and don't have obvious endings you can see within the first few minutes. I honestly thought Mrs. Robinson and Ben were going to fall in love. I had this brilliant moment of realization while watching the scene with Mrs. Robinson asking Ben to drive her home. My brain pieced together Simon and Garfunkel, my memories and suddenly I was like "Oh! That is the Mrs. Robinson!" That I've heard about via that song. It was a great moment, like some sort of life-long conclusion. I don't think my mother ever told me about this movie. Probably because it was a bit much for little me. I feel it was an adult movie. This predisposition made my sympathize with Mrs. Robinson because I remembered the lyrics. My opinion of her changed by the end of the movie.

The idea of a cougar is a very bold topic. I think an older woman dating a younger man is even scandalous now, so I'm pleased with how brave this movie is. I loved the imagery throughout the film. I felt the director took artistic licence. There are a few scenes that were visually stimulating and really drew me in. The one that I enjoyed the most was the montage of Mrs. Robinson and Ben's affair, while he's shown in the pool and in beds. I thought it was a great way to convey the passing of time, the feelings that were attached to the affair, Ben's summer and his uncertainty with himself. The pool and water gave me this sense of drowning and isolation, which I felt reflected Ben and even Mrs. Robinson. The Sound of Silence capped it off well, too.


I found the whole thing on YouTube and  I'm happy about that. I also liked this because I thought it was a clever way to show an affair without dragging it on or making it too graphic. I understand there were more restrictions with what could be shown on screen, this was a great way around it. 

What I didn't like about the film was the whole second arc with Elaine. I know that it had to happen, because of the purpose I think it serves, but it was the only point of the film where I was confused and wishing it would be done with. Coincidentally, the part with Scarborough Fair. Ben's attraction to Elaine was strange to me. He went out with her once, after promising that he wouldn't and suddenly he was in love. I thought it was stupid at first, because no one would love someone so quickly. No one rational, anyway. I felt Ben's obsession with her and wanting to marry her strange. I was uncomfortable with his feelings for Elaine because I felt they weren't sincere. It wasn't until he crashed the wedding, ran off with Elaine and was sitting in the back of the bus with her, that I understood why.

 His obsession with Elaine wasn't because he was genuinely in love with her. It was because she was taboo. I interpreted it as Ben wanting to rebel, very badly. Even from Mrs. Robinson, because although she is a thrill to him, she's also a parental figure and is still trying to tell him what to do. She forbids him from dating Elaine, which made Elaine enticing. I felt that Elaine also wanted to run away from her life and restriction, so they both fed off each other under the guise of love. I say this because at the end of the film, in the back of the bus they are both staring off. Their smiles fade, and they seem really disconnected. I felt that Ben and Elaine have no real direction in life and nothing was solved. The fun was over and now they'd really messed up their lives. 


I think finally being the love of my life would have me smiling a bit more than this. I also felt that Elaine was more relatable to Ben than Mrs. Robinson. So he chose her to run away with and to act out with. I say this because he tries to talk to Mrs. Robinson about school as if she's his age. Her lack of interest or engagement aged her to him. It was clear she was different, older and disenchanted with possibilities. After all, she was set in life and middle aged, while he was young and had more freedom. I think Ben thought he was in love and when Mrs. Robinson didn't reciprocate with that naivety, he lost interest in the affair. Maybe he would have ran away with Mrs. Robinson otherwise? I guess the past is doomed to repeat itself. Mistakes and quick decisions leave our characters trapped in the end. 


I loved this movie, I think it was great. It was hilarious (unintentionally I believe, in some places) and really made me think. A lot was said between the lines of the characters and I enjoyed it. Even when I started to stray in my opinion, they topped it off well and made it work. I can see why everyone quotes and references this movie. As I discovered later, after explaining it to my boyfriend when I got home, it was referenced in one of my favorite television shows... and I find that hilarious. He pointed it out to me.


I'm ending this post with the song Mrs. Robinson because why not? It's pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment